Wednesday 9 January 2013

Tackle maintenance tips

I thought I would just do up a quick post for people out there who are constantly having problems with rusting hooks - those of you that fish the briney anyway.

I noticed the other day that Plano are bringing out new tackle trays that have holes all through them which got me thinking about all the rusted hooks this would give me, not to mention what would happen if you dropped the box overboard!  It might be geared a little more to freshwater anglers without reading anything about them.


So here's what I do to prevent rusting hooks or prolong their life at least.

Buy waterproof tackle trays.  This will stop any water making its way into the tray when its slopping around on the deck - thinking kayaks here - or if you manage to drop it overboard.  When I get home after an outing I usually get the hose and spray out the whole box making sure every lure gets a good drencing then let it all dry in the sun.  The aim here is to get out all the salt water, if there is a little bit left the sun will evaporate the water and the salt will be left there to hang out on your trebles.  Next thing I do when its all dry is I throw in some of those little Silica gel packs, you know the ones, you threw them all out when you opened up your Christmas presents.  Hang onto them and load up the tackle box with them, this will absorb any leftover moisture around.


>

No comments:

Post a Comment