Tuesday 26 February 2013

PB GT

Well, my only GT.

I went for a short paddle in the Mooloola River in between the heavy rain periods we have been having here on the Sunshine Coast.  I launched under the motorway bridges and paddled my way up the canals past million dollar houses and yachts, poor suckers were probably at work.  It was a perfect day on the water with zero wind and a nice dirty water line forming as the fresh water pushed against the salt on its way out to sea.  I followed this line for about 1km watching the sounder picking up lots of activity under me.  I couldn't pin anything!  About an hour into the session I saw some action next to the canal revetment wall and flicked my Atomic surface walker right where the boil was and started the retrieve.  Two twitches into the retrieve it was smashed in an explosion of water and it took off like a freight train.  I called it for a Jack but it didn't dive for cover like I would have expected.  Line was peeling from my small reel and my 1kg rod had the biggest bend I had ever seen in it before.  I built the rod on a Samurai blank which had plenty of stick in the butt so I tightened the drag and gave him some curry and up swam a fish I had never cought before.

going to 41cm it was my PB and broke a month long drought I have been experiencing.  My camera battery was flat from the day before and I wasn't too fussed about getting any photos so I leave you with the few I got of the fish on my phone.

I was initially concerned about swapping over trebbles for single hook but I am completey sold after how they performed and my snag up rate has dropped significantly.  Hook up rate hasn't declined, but that might be only because I have not been getting any lately!

Cheers
Dan.

No comments:

Post a Comment