Monday 10 December 2012

Jackson Coosa

As you might have seen in an earlier post I own a Jackson Coosa kayak - these things are fishing machines right out of the box but I have added a few bits and pieces to make things a little more comfortable and more suited to my type of fishing.  I thought I would put up a few pics and run you through it all.

For anyone considering an all round kayak this thing is the go.  I take it out offshore on calm-ish days, paddle my way half way to fraser island, fish some pretty big estuaries and get right up in the skinny water chasing bass and 'toga.

The first thing I noticed about the yak was that there is a place for everything - big, lockable front hatch, middle watertight compartment, foot pegs, large standing platform, horizontal rod holder and paddle holder on either side, removable camp-style chair with 2 positions, rear crate storage area with two flush trolling-angled rod holders and another hatch in the rear which is also lockable.

I have added some flush mount Scotty mounts.  The front one holds the Scotty rod holder - I use this for trolling light lures and generally just holding the rod.  The second mount holds the Lowrance Elite 4 fish finder with GPS.  The two are interchangable so I can have the rod closer etc.

There is a down side with this yak - it is a paddle yak so its a slog over long distances, but that said it can probably go a lot of places those big peddle yaks can't.

Ill let the piictures speak for themselves!














2 comments:

  1. I love you blog. I'm a fellow Coosa owner who is about to purchase a scotty mount. I can't decide between the 344 and the 444. The 344 won't fit the factory recesses of the coosa and the 444 looks like it wouldn't be stable for a heavy load on a rod holder. How is your 444 holding up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey mate. I found the 444 mount to fit the spot really nicely - the thread on my sounder mount was a little small so I couldn't get the screw on part inside the hull onthe the thread of the mount if that makes sense? I drilled a hole that was a little too small for the mount so the thread screwed into the hull itself and was nice and firm. it was only for the sounder so it didn't matter too much. Other than that they held up very nicely. Thanks for reading.

      Delete