Monday 22 April 2013

Autumn fishing

Howdy all.

My camera is still getting fixed if you can believe it... Olympus by the way, so if your considering getting one just know that if you ever need to claim warranty it might take a while...  rant over.

So Saturday morning broke and I find myself launching the yak into a meesly 1ft of surf at the Kings Beach boat ramp.  Even though i have a Hobie Pro Angler, not exactly the best ocean going vessel but I punched out over, not through the waves and made it out with nothing but wet feet.  Beautiful.  I lobbed out a Halco 120 lure in Quantas colours and an Atomic Plazo's soft plastic.  I paddled out around Brays rock and headed towards Moffat Beach when I saw a floatilla of kayak coming towards me.  I thought they might have the hot tip so I turned and took up position in the line.  Tuna was the hunt of the day and after a few reports of other kayak blokes getting into some during the previous weeks I thought it was my turn.  Turns out it was not my turn and after 3 or so hours tracking something like 6k's I thought I would give up and paddle home.  On the way back my Halco went off and I landed a nice little 40cm squire.  Dinner sorted.

After Saturday's dismal efforts I gave up on the offshore front and headed back to my secret spot once again.  I loaded up the Boathoist trailer with the PA and set out to be on the water by 5am.  It wasn't till about 7am when I finally hooked up a little, 40cm, Jewie.  I have been getting a fair few of these little guys around here and they definately are fun on light gear.  Anyway he went back to get bigger.  I turned a corner and lobbed my plastic at a pontoon and on the drop it was snaffled by something with some go.  The fish darted straight out into the middle of the channel and I thought this familiar behaviour would lead to me bringing up a trevally.  Sure enough about a 40cm trevor pops in to say hello.  He went back after a few snaps on the phone.  I turned to go home and tried the last pontoon and hooked up to another, much bigger trevor that gave me some grief for 5 mins on my 2kg rod.  Eventually he spat the hook and won his freedom so no pic!  I leave you now with some shots of the day on my phone, I might have to start taking out my SLR to get some quality shots while my waterproof camera is getting fixed...




No comments:

Post a Comment